Pages

7.9.13

Kind of a bummer

Creating Keepsakes and Paper Crafts magazines have announced that they're going to discontinue the monthly print issues (it looks like some special issues will still be printed, but I'm not positive about that) and will be moving to digital issues after the November/December.

Well, as a Comm. Arts major, I've heard a whole lot about how the print industry going downhill fast, and how print newspapers and magazines will soon be only available digitally, so this isn't a huge surprise for me. Not that you necessarily have to be a Communication Arts major to have been expecting this, but despite not being surprised, I am pretty bummed.
I can imagine some of the reasons why CK and PC chose to do this, and I figured I may as well write them down to help explain to some people who are angry about the decision, and also to try and get a little experience writing about the field I'm going to try (God willing) to make a career in.

  1. It's less expensive; an obvious reason. Printing is just getting too expensive these days. 
  2. More and more people are only reading digital. Sure, they may flip through a print magazine every now and then, at a doctors office or such, but really, it's just easier for a lot of people to read the magazine on their Kindle, PC, iPad, whatever. 
  3. Now combine reasons one and two - if printing is more expensive than digital, and more people are going digital only, doesn't it make sense to just go digital? They'll definitely lose some customers after the switch, but in the long run, they'll probably the better off online only.
However, I realize people will miss the actual print issue in their hands - they like the physical touch. I get that. I do too. As a contributor to the magazine, it is just awesome to have and show off the real deal. Plus, I don't read magazines online - actually, Paper Crafts is the only magazine I do read regularly, and that's cuz it's mostly pictures. ;)

However, from the business standpoint, it just makes more sense to go online only.

The one thing I am concerned about is the combination of CK and PC - as a cardmaker, I don't reaaaally wanna see layouts in the magazine. However, I think it actually might be cool in the long run, since if I'm inspired enough, I'll scrapbook. And I do need to scrapbook. ;)

Lastly, I don't actually subscribe to the magazine (why pay for a subscription when I can get a free copy if I have a project published?), so the fact they're making the switchover so sudden doesn't affect me as much, and it's understandable actual subscribers would be angry. 
But just look at the three reasons, and try to remember, some of the staff might have/probably lost their jobs, so they're probably a lot worse off.

I've probably missed a lot more that could be said, but like I said, I'm just practicing here, k? ;) Plus, I'm super tired and I feel like my eyes might fall out soon, so peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment